Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Monday, August 09, 2004

Some Knitting Revelations 

You may have noticed that I'm having some technical difficulties with my blog. Hopefully, they will be corrected soon.

Raggin' on Bush

I feel like I should make this a semi-regular feature on here because, hey, it's so easy. You must go here and watch this movie because it is so f'ing funny. I screamed with laughter when I watched it, especially the "I was just mending my fences" part.

Normal Content

I had a few knitting revelations this week. The first happened as I was getting on the elevator to go up to my office. A woman got on wearing a lovely knitted tank top and I contemplated asking her if she had made it. I thought that would be silly though, so I didn't say anything. Lo and behold, I was surfing today on Kat's site, looking at her gallery and saw that she had made the exact same top! Apparently, it's Pia from Rowan 35. So now I regret not starting up a conversation. Oh well.

I had another, more significant revelation the other day. I had gotten to the neck and arm shaping in the pattern for Doris, which liberally used the phrase "AT THE SAME TIME." I decided to actually write out row by row what was going to be happening in that section so that I wouldn't end up with some tangled, off center mess for a top. Strangely enough, I found this to be a pleasant mental exercise as I enjoyed figuring out how all the different directions would come together and that while they were separate, confusing blocks of text previously, I could think it through to make something comprehensible to me.

As I was realizing this, I suddenly flashed back to when I was a child - maybe 4th or 5th grade. I had gotten a book about fashion design and became obsessed with it. I decided that when I grew up, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I eventually gave up on this dream when I figured it would be very difficult to become a well-known designer and anything I would create would probably end up at Wal-Mart or something. Well, here I am today, actually making garments for myself with my own two hands. I am certainly not at a point right now where I could create any real design of my own but as I knit more, I will get a better sense of the way garments are created and can strive to be able to eventually create some clothes entirely from my own creativity. It's just funny how our our thoughts can really come full circle and that our dreams as children can figure into our lives as adults.

Anywhooz, Doris front done, onto the back. Progress soldiers on. Hopefully, I'll have some fn Maine knitting adventures to post about in a few days. Wish me luck!