Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Monday, August 23, 2004

Trouble in Bloggy Land 

I've been a bit slow in posting here. I told myself that I wasn't allowed to use any of the things on my desk until I cleaned up all the things that were on top of it. I'm breaking that promise a bit now, but just keep it cool little ones.

So I spent lots of time this past week (perhaps a bit more time than I should have...once again, DL) taking strolls around knit blog land. It seems like a lot of folks out there are going through some tough or crazy times right now - car crash injuries in Hollyweird, intense family time at Monkey Knits, job hunting for Leya and lots others. I should probably start feeling as stressed as they do soon as I'm organizing a weekend training for our activists at work in, oh, less than a month. I'm behind on doing things for that and in my work in general...I'm just having a hard time motivating myself with it lately. I'll skip the description of what's behind that for now but sigh, I feel guilty for it but that doesn't get my work done. Beyond that, my job, which is a temporary position, ends in December and I need to start thinking about what's going to happen then. I'd like to leave DC but there's a lot there...ugh, I don't even want to think about it. So I send out strength to you and try to keep some for myself to get through life's shit.

Otherwise, this has been the mildest August in DC in probably many a year. As yesturday was lovely, Cobra and I hopped on his motorcycle to go to..AC Moore! Ha ha, he's such a good boy. It was beautiful to ride out there in Maryland, the sun was beating down warmly but the air was very cool and felt delicious running over my skin. I do have flashes of fear when I think of how vulnerable we are but man, riding that machine is really sensual. Very different from the boxed-off-from-the-world-around-you feeling you have in a car.

We were going to AC Moore because of a conversation we had the other night where he revealed that he's wanted a really long scarf for a while. Why he did not tell me this previously, I can only guess. When we were at the store and looking at the colors, he asked if there's any way I could make a checked scarf for him. I said something along the lines of "No, it's pretty difficult" but I'm thinking "Hell No! What do you think I am, a professional?!?" I then offered various suggestions for stitch patterns to liven this up but he kept insisting how he wants it to be "plain." We may have to find some compromise so that it won't be the most boring thing to make ever. In other hypothetical future knitting, my friend Meagan lent me this awesome vintage needlecraft book. It has some absolutely beautiful patterns in 50's and early 60's styles, lots of lacy cardigans, suits, aran sweaters. I want to make them all! Some of the Patons Divine I saw yesturday would certainly suit those patterns well...we'll see.

The knittting for Doris: done. I haven't steam blocked her yet because like I said before, decided not to use the desk until I clean it. I'm probably going to see my little second cousins over Labor Day weekend, so I started making them some winter hats. I call the current one Shebert because I'm double stranding with a pink Sirdar baby yarn and lavendar TLC Baby Fingering and it looks like some sweet treats. The Baby Fingering (a name that freaks Cobra out every time he see it, ugh) has a white shiny strand running through it that gives the whole thing a nice sheen. Perfect for little 4-year-olds.

Time for this not so 4-year-old to get back to stichin'.