Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Trying and Exploring 

I'm proud to say that I just broke my Yom Kippur fast and I've made it through alive! Actually, it was relatively easy and probably a good experience to have once a year.

First Americans Festival

As described in my last post, I did take Tuesday off of work and rode my bike down to the Mall to check out the First Americans Festival commemorating the opening of the National Museum of the American Indian. Wow, it was so amazing. There were just thousands of people there dressed in their full regalia, or wearing shirts that said "Native Pride" or "Honor my Treaties" or "My Heroes Killed Cowboys." The mixture of people was really interesting as well, since the museum includes people from the whole Western hemisphere. Looking at the crowd, I would have only guessed that some of them were Native American as many looked very White, very Black, very Hispanic, or very Asian. As an outsider, that really was a wake up call as to the diversity present in the community. I also managed to position myself well during the speeches preceding the actual opening of the museum. I stood right next to the walkway where the speakers went from the stage to the entrance, so I saw the president of Peru, Senator Daniel Inouye, the Secretary of the Smithsonian, and, in full Cheyenne dress, Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell and Museum Director Rich West- all real close! Inouye was tiny, I think I'm taller than him! The best part about the whole event though was the sense of community and joy that surrounded the event. People were just talking and meeting with one another, asking which trie they were from. At one point, I parked myself on a patch of grass where a group of men were banging out a drum rhythm and chanting a wordless tune. One of them stood up to say that it's a song based on a heartbeat and that they don't use their language in it so that people from all tribes can dance to it. And that's exactly what happened - about five people were circle dancing when I first got there, but it was probably about thirty when I left an hour later. The men had backpieces made from huge, decorate feathers that made them look like they had circular wings, or had carved headpieces that looked like parts from a totem pole. The women had beaded dresses where the crafter in me marveled at the beautiful rose and eagle designs. They all danced with birdlike movements, or as if they were preaching silently to the sky, or by jumping up and down on their toes or just slowly marching. I loved the color, variety and movement. Of course, I didn't get into the actual museum because you had to get early passes but I'll put it on my list when all the hype dies down. I love experiencing great DC things like this, reminds me that it really is a great place to live with so many unique events going on. You can find pictures of the museum itself here and from the opening day here.

Raggin' on Bush

Speaking of Native Americans, here's some footage of President Bush speaking about tribal sovereignty. His respect for native people and knowledge of their issues really just oozes from his statements.

Kyoto

I'm at an interesting point with Kyoto. After seeing Betsy's problems with the fit of the top, I decided to press pause on the sash and start on the top to ensure that it will fit. I'm about halfway done with the left front, it looks gorgeous in this fantastic yarn in a lovely sea foam, and it looks like it should fit fine, especially when factoring in the collar. The problem is that, for safety's sake, I started the front in a size larger than I've been making the sash in. So it will have to be ripped, ripped - it will end up in double seed stitch after all, I suppose. I've started on Cobra's scarf, which I'll talk more about soon...

Anyone Wanna Trade?

For work, we did some citizen lobbying on Monday. It was a bit chilly in the morning so I grabbed Sonnet to wear out - it was exactly the kind of day I had planned it for. Well, when I was about to go with one of out activists to a Senator's office, I noticed that the angora had fuzzed off and was now completely covering the lovely white flowers on my skirt. I'm really frustrated with this yarn, folks, so I wanted to see if anyone out there would be interested in this Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora. I'll frog the sweater and ball up all the yarn for you. I believe I have 12 or 13 balls in the sweater. Warning - 4 or 5 balls are from different dye lots than the rest but you really can't tell, especially if you're going to do a textured knit like I did. I'd be happy to trade for some black DK (22 St/in) to make my cardigan, or some Noro or other fun variegated yarn. Leave a comment or send an email to me if you're interested in this fine luxury yarn (yes, I realize that speaking ill of it before I try and take it off my hands might not be the best tactic but A. I want to be honest to my readers and B. Lots of people out there love this yarn).