Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Surprise! 


I got a digital camera as an early Hanukkah present, a most lovely Canon Powershot A75! I'm clearly thrilled!

Now that it's going to have pictoral representation, this blog is going places. BIG places. Damn straight.

This being a knitting blog and all, of course the first thing that I have to show is my current projects. First, we have the HCPFR scarf, which is about halfway done at this point.


That big hole looking thing? It's a totally sweet ladder and yes, it was absolutely intentional. Later this week, I'll have Cobra take us on a tour of the scarf's design features.

Next, we have my Kyoto sweater. Here are my two fronts and the progress on the sash portion, which is also about halfway done.


I love the color combination, the seafoam green is a really unique color. Looking at the pieces together makes me think of those delicious Grasshopper chocolate mint cookies so from now on, this sweater will be called Grasshopper. I'm going to try not to be culturally insensitive by asking if it was in China or Japan that people kept grasshoppers in the little cages as singing pets. I ask because it would be very appropriate if it were Japan as the sweater design also originated from there, ya see.

As exciting as this is, I also need to stay grounded. You may have noticed that I haven't been posting as much lately. This is because, in addition to being busy, as we all are, I've felt really off balance. I love to listen to music and I love to read, I've always been avid with both but I haven't been doing very much of either of those things in the last few months. Nor have I been taking care of a lot of the logistical things I need to (like cleaning my apartment) or putting as much serious thought in my life next steps. I've become very lacksadaisacal at work. In a lot of ways, knitting and knit-blogging have been an outlet for me to distract myself from these things, for better or worse and it's become a little too intense. I've taken advantage of the fact that I can focus on these things to the detriment of other parts.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to bring more balance back to my life. Really, I have no choice as my job is ending along with 2004. What I've not formally mentioned on here as far as I can recall is that I'm planning to go volunteer and travel in India for a few months starting in January. I've picked an organization to go with, but before I go, I still need to figure out my financial situation, how long I'm going to stay, my flight arrangements, if I'll visit my brother in Israel along the way, if I'm bringing my computer, if I'll keep a blog when I'm there, my living arrangement for when I return, my moving plans for my current apartment, where I'll store my stuff, and....probably more that I can't think of right now. Of course, I welcome any comments, suggestions or discussion on any of the above topics. Just wanted to give fair warning that as my life become less knitting focused, this blog will probably follow suit. It's a very exciting time for me, though so I hope you'll stay tuned.

P.S. Wonkette is my new crack.