Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Still Thinking about Socks, and Bears and Eyebrows 

The night after I wrote my last post, another of my DPN’s broke. Then, last night, I had
my sock sitting on my couch. I leaned forward to change the TV channel, and as I leaned back, it was right on my knitting. Another one broke! It’s a plague on my house! A plague, I say!! I have broken five needles in probably the same number of months, but luckily I still have five left. The problem seems to be the Brittany Birch needles I’ve been using, which are relatively malleable. I’m looking to take an alternative needle action and here’s my options as I see them:

A) Switch to DPN’s in a harder or unbreakable material. I could grab some metal ones at a craft store. I’m not sure how they would work with sock yarn or if the stitches would fall off the needles all the time. It seems from all of her sock pictures, however, that the Harlot uses them, which I would take as a recommendation. Bamboo is harder and would probably be a good option, as might be the costly ebony needles available.

B) Change to the two circulars method. I’ve been interested in trying this for a while and seeing if it’s any faster or easier. Plus, they’re really hard to break.

Sock knitters, any thoughts? Any DPN preferences or recommendations? Anyone made the DPN/circular switch? I bow to your wisdom.

The sock, she continues to grow.



A Sock Grows

I actually took a short break from her this week because I got a case of sock paranoia. I don’t know if anyone else gets this, but I start get very anxious after working on a sock for a while that the cuff is too long and I won’t have enough yarn to finish the pair. A reliable, even scientific method needed to be used to ensure that I would not have any trouble. So I resolved my paranoia by bringing my sock to work and weighing it and the remaining yarn. The sock itself was 1oz while the yarn ball was 2.6 oz. This seems like reliable proof to me, right? I really hope I don’t have to eat my words later, especially when I’m trying to make my sock pal happy.

In an unrelated note, Cobra and I saw a fascinating documentary this past weekend called Grizzly Man. The main focus of the film is Timothy Treadwell, a passionate man who spent thirteen consecutive summers in Alaska living with and studying Grizzly Bears. Sadly, the bears that he loved also caused his ultimate, violent death. The movie explores the various aspects of his personality but certainly leaves the watcher wondering what he was hiding. The life and death of this man brings up the issues of activists’ efficacy alive or dead, and human relationships with nature.

On a much more superficial note, I also indulged this week in one of my few beauty treatments: getting my eyebrows threaded. This is probably one of my favorite practices I learned about in India. In case you’re not familiar with it, this is a hair removal technique where a cotton thread is used to pull out those unsightly little buggers. It’s good for people like me who can’t get waxed because it pulls off chunks of my skin (I learned this the hard way). It hurts less and is more controlled, leaving a great line. I think she did a good job, yes?

Eyebrow


You can learn more about threading here; you can probably find a threader in the Indian/Pakistani/Iranian/Middle Eastern section of your town. In DC, you can check out Threads on 15th and L, diagonal from the Washington Post, 2nd floor.

Is it too much information to be sharing my hair removal tips on the internet? I’m just so enthused about threading that I want to share it with everyone. Is that so wrong?