Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Capitalist Moment 

I'm proud to say that I've never been someone that's wanted a lot of stuff. I've never been a big shopper and I make an effort to content myself with the things that I have. This applies to my knitting as well: I have a pretty small stash because I'd like to think that I could complete all of the projects I have yarn for within the next few months.

In addition to being part of my personality, this outlook also stems from my political beliefs . Buying a lot of stuff uses up resources that may be limited and are probably quickly diminishing. Most new items that we can purchase in stores today are made under conditions that exploit workers and the environment. On a deeper level, I think that our society's focus on consumerism distracts us from seeing social inequities and thinking about real problems that we face as individuals. I discuss this stance with others; Lolly and I have talked about it (and she alludes to her feelings about it in this post) and my brother and I tend to agree strongly on this issue. He may be the only religious Jew who's a big fan of Adbusters.

Well, that is my very principled position. I think sometimes we all have moments where, um, we mostly forget about our principles. I've found lately that getting my job and having a bit of extra money, after having to watch every penny at the beginning of the year and save save saving last year to go on my India trip, has gotten me really excited to BUY STUFF. Because stuff is new and fun and pretty!! And I want it! Now!!

Take last week. I had this really bad dentist's appointment that involved lots and lots of drilling. Being that it was Rosh Hashana, one of the most important holidays of the year, I should have been reflecting and introspecting and thinking sweet thoughts for the New Year. Instead, I told myself I needed something to cheer me up after all of that infernal drilling.

loop

I headed over to Stitch DC and got myself a copy of Loop-d-Loop. It was a totally worthwhile purchase and a true joy to read. Not only are Teva's (who I keep wanting to call Tevya, woops!) designs totally unique and inspirational and I want to make them all (why is it that the ones I really like are the advanced level ones?), but she puts knitting into a cultural and spiritual context that makes you feel really special for taking up the craft. And dammit, I am!

On top of the book, you'll notice an array of buttons I bought at a fabric store around the corner from me that, sadly, is going out of business. I had to buy them right away because otherwise I'd never be able to find them again, and that would be a true tragedy.

On Saturday, I went to Baltimore to hang out with my friend who goes to Hopkins. We had an absolutely kick ass brunch and took some time to stroll around "The Avenue" in the Hampden neighborhood.


Hampden Shops

Cute, eh? So being that there were lots of cute boutiques and vintage stores there, and everything was cheaper than it would be in DC, I just had to partake.


boots

Das Boot from Sugar Shoes. These are so comfy and I love them, even though they don't show off handknit socks. I got these at a store that only sells two things: shoes and chocolate. Does human brilliance never cease?


new_coat

My old winter coat is literally falling apart at the seams, so when I saw this vintage, camel-colored beauty that was not only 100% cashmere, but was also under $50, it was really a no-brainer. Won't this color be a perfect neutral canvas for brightly-colored handknit scarves? I'll probably change the buttons, maybe for some tortoise shell ones.


books_and_broch

I'm not totally crazy, those books were actually free, officially making them the bargain of the day. Yes, you can go to Baltimore and get all the free books you want, which in my opinion makes it a sort of earthly paradise. And yes, I really, really like John Irving. I have a friend who thinks he's a bit of a silver fox, but I don't take it that far. The brooch up front was not free, but was really a good price for being vintage and possibly a celluloid collector's item.

All of this shopping and eating didn't leave me with too much time for knitting, but I did finish the back of my Cutaway.

back

I hope that I can make finishing it, and not shopping, my priority. I'm sure this phase will end as soon as I realize that I don't want to give my first-born to Chase bank.