Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Fixin' a Hole 

Really, I've just been trying to do some problem solving lately.

Problem: I haven't gotten anything barely resembling decent cell phone reception for the past, oh, three years - in which I've lived in three different places. So I replaces my ghetto old phone with a bling-blingin' new one.

phones

The new one is the one on the right. And it takes pictures, but seemingly only really bad ones. Expect to see some examples sometime soon right here on this very blog!

Problem: I went to the Black Cat on Saturday for Mousetrap, the best Brit Pop dance night around. At some point, I got a really fresh piece of gum stuck on my shoe that proceeded to pick up all the black dirty nastiness from the club floor. Then, it decided to stick itself to my ABSOLUTELY BRAND NEW, THREE HOUR OLD JEANS and my HANDKNIT SOCK. My beautiful Sockapal2za sock, that were made so lovingly and have kept me warm through the recent cold temps and comforted me during my father's recent illness. They both had huge black, stick spots on them. I tried putting them in the freezer and trying to pull off the freezing gum, but that only got part of it off (incidentally, I could still smell the flavor of the gum. Eww).

I pulled out my secret weapon: my Hogwash soap. When I bought this in Chicago, the salesperson at the store really convinced me by giving me a 10 minute story of what it had gotten out of her clothes with the soap, so I was convinced. I brought it home, used it to take out blood and red wine; I was super convinced. Folks, now I preach the gospel of Hogwash because it got this nasty chewing gum off of my stunning sock.

dirty sock

Those black globs are just a remnant of what was originally on there. Now, it's good as new! Buy the soap now, you will thank me!!

Problem: I think I may have a needle abuse problem that requires some sort of counseling. You may remember this past summer when I had a bit of a problem with my DPNs. Well, I was using my Denise needles under normal circumstances recently and had the connectors break on two of the cords. I wouldn't be surprised if I were using them to, you know, anchor sailboats or something, but for goodness sake, I was just picking up stitches. WTF? My hands must be 20 times stronger than the rest of my body. Maybe I'm like Wolverine and have a special metal alloy called adamantium covering only my hand bones that gives them extreme strength.

In any case, I decided to take advantage of the needles' lifetime guarantee and sent a letter along with the broken needles to the kind Denise folks. Within two weeks, I'd received my two replacements and this little message. Quick, efficient, reliable. Denise delivers (they are not paying me to say this).


deniseneedles

Problem: This one you need to help me make a decision. I start Teva Durham's Ballet T-shirt in some Cookie Monster blue mohair I purchased in Israel last summer. I like how it looks but it has become clear that there is now way I can finish the project with the amount of yarn I have and NO way I could get some more.


balletT

The colors look nice together but I'm worried that the extremely evident shaping in the bottom of the shirt will make a big ass bottom stripe look weird. That's where you come in.

Apparently,Blogger does not accept blog polls, so I'll give you four choices to vote on in the comments.

Should I knit the bottom of my Ballet T-shirt with the green yarn?

1. Yes, it will not look weird despite the garment's shaping
2. No, it will look stupid.
3. I don't know but you should give it a shot.
4. I don't know but you should just frog the project.

Also, write-in candidates are gladly accepted.

And, of course, because a certain pair of socks may be finished and a certain shawl ain't going nowhere, I cast on a new project: the Sophie bag.

sophie

Hopefully, I can finish and felt it Pittsburgh this weekend at the pre-Hanukkah celebration we're having with my parents. I will keep you posted.