Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

You know what they say about men with big feet - big socks 

The holidays have really kept me so busy that my two consecutive 3 1/2 weekends just flew by. I'm feeling a great sense of relief to get back into my routine in both my personal and work life. Of course, work will probably stay busy for a while because, during the holiday season when people pull out their credit cards to buy gifts, they often also pull out their checkbooks to make (tax-deductible) donations to non-profits. Of course, we are grateful for all of the donations we receive but it takes time away from my other tasks that I need to accomplish. Ahh, the fundraising life, it is a crazy one.

On to the knitting! Finally, I can show off one of the my last FO's from 2005: Cobra's Retro Rib socks! In their fully glory:

Cobra's Retro Rib Socks

Pattern: Retro Rib Socks from Fall 04 Interweave Knits
Yarn: Opal Batik in Reds
Needles: Size 3 Crystral Palace Bamboo DPNs

I had so much fun with this pattern! It really kept my interest and creates an deceptively complicated textured pattern to boot. Despite their largeness, using the slightly larger needles and taking off the stitch pattern from the foot made them relatively quick, even though they actually took about a month and a half to complete.

It was a bit of a challenge trying to take a photograph that gave a sense of their actual scale and Cobra's huge feet. Here's a decent one, his foot with a common, household one foot ruler.

sock and ruler


Really though, I thought that the relative size was the more interesting part, so here's one of the socks on my arm.

sock sleeve

If I had just made up a body for the thing, I could have had a whole sweater! Thankfully, Cobra has been more than grateful for them, telling his friends and family that I made them just for him and that they are "awesome." In At Knit's End, the Harlot talks about how she uses handmade socks essentially as bribes - and that's a feasible thing to do, because when people pull them onto their feet, they feel the personalization and the infusion of love with which they were made. Cobra now feels that wooly love but may not know how it will make him putty in my hands.

It's getting late, so I don't think I'll be able to spell out my knitting resolutions for 2006 tonight (Aaawww darn) because I need to do a little information gathering. I do, however, want to take a look back at knitting in 2005 with this Top 5 list I found over at Zarah's.

1. New (to Me) Technique: I've learned a lot this year about knitting math and modifying patterns. It's a fun mental challenge, like an applicable word problem that I actually want to solve. I hope these skills can transfer over to a bit of simple design in the new year.

2. Favorite FO: It makes it in just under the wire since it finished it on January 1 05, but I'd have to say that my Grasshopper Sweater is my favorite garment that I've made so far. It's versatile, easy and comfortable to wear. It's got some little dirty spots on it but has also held up well this year. As an accessory whore, I do have to say that I love the quirkyness of my Psychedelic Seaweed Scarf and Raspberry Mittens and Hat.

3. Favorite KAL:
Definitely Sockapaltwoza! Who doesn't love custom made socks coming in the mail?

4. Favorite Shop: Unfortunately, I haven't visited Springwater Fiber Arts all year, but it still holds a special place in my heart. I've spent a lot of time at Stitch DC this year, and have enjoyed their friendly staff and decent selection.

5. Favorite Tool: Row Counter. So simple, yet makes a significant impact on the outcome of your knits. Next year, I hope this will be a ballwinder and swift.

Those resolutions, they will be forthcoming. Happy 2006, all!