Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Monday, April 24, 2006

Blue 

jenna blue

Blue, songs are like tattoos
You know I’ve been to sea betore
Crown and anchor me
Or let me sail away
Hey blue, here is a song for you
Ink on a pin
Underneath the skin
An empty space to fill in

-
Joni Mitchell

No better way to attempt to return to semi-regular blogging than with a lovely finished project.
Clapotis
in Novelty Boutone Pure Wool from Handpaintedyarn.com, colorway Pocitos
Size 7 needle

Just as many others have stated, this was a fun knit and the novelty of dropping the stitches never really wore off. Mine's a bit longer than the pattern specifications as I just kept knitting until I thought I'd finish off my three skeins. Unfortunately, I ran out of yarn about 15 rows short of the end because I decided to take a chance of do one more repeat, but you can't really tell that it's not perfectly rectangular unless you look closely.

blue closeup

The yarn wasinitiallyy a bit rough to work with and seemed to carry a good amount of dust in it. The "buttons" in the yarn are caused by one of the three plies being wrapped around the others; this construction would occasionally cause the yarn to split. The beauty of the colors, which shifted from turquoise and ocean blue to lavender and navy, kept me knitting on this to see which would emerge next.

When I finished knitting, I used my Blue as a guinea pig for my delicates cycle in my new in-house washing machine. I was shocked at how much it softened with washing, it is now luxurious and has a beautiful halo.

bluecoolcloseup

We're having some sunny yet windy/chilly days here in the DC area, so I think I'll get a few wears out of this scarf before I have to put it away until the fall.

Like the song Blue, I'm definitely reflecting on the consequences of my choices and, unlike Joni, I'm feeling good about mine. We're about 2/3 settled in the new place and it's looking pretty good. My parents came to visit this past weekend and, in addition to bringing fun goodies like a powerful new vacuum and hand mixer, they helped us hang pictures and make the place look a bit more homey (hopefully not homely, ha!). My blue represents comfort and contentment.

Blue, here is a shell for you
Inside you’ll hear a sigh
A foggy lullaby
There is your song from me

blue standing

(Quick story about this photo shoot: Cobra and I decided to take a bike ride to enjoy the lovely Sunday afternoon. Cobra is a very accomplished bicycle rider, having competed in trials competitions and other races back in the day. He can do bunny hops, wheelies and other tricks with the greatest of ease. We were stopped at a stoplight and he was jumping around on one wheel and doing some crazy trick. A Latin gentlemen was walking down the street and started yelling something at us. I couldn't understand what he was saying but I did see him making a grabbing and lifting gesture. I thought he was telling me to lift up my shirt! I was so horrified, I turned around and shouted, "Hey man, fuck you!" Cobra started laughing hysterically; "He was telling you to do a trick, he wanted you to wheelie, too!" Guys, I still feel so bad about this!!)