Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

CityShots 

On Wednesday night, I made my first trip to the Eighteenth Street Lounge. A few years back, this was the most talked about night spot in the whole city; not only did it launch the career of DJ duo Thievery Corporation (who own and run the space), but it also created a whole lounge scene throughout the whole city.
Back when I was a senior in high school in Pittsburgh and had just decided to come to college in DC, I read an article about this club in Spin magazine. A few details of that article stick out in my mind, mainly the image of women wearing clothes held together by dental floss shaking their booties in the crowded, darkly and antiquarian-looking space. This image was a marked changed from anything I'd seen in Pittsburgh, an aging city with little for underage kids to do. I remember thinking "wow, I'm going to live in a city that has its own youth culture and scene. I'm going to be a part of it."
Six or seven years later, I finally make it to this fabled place for a friend's 30th birthday/finishing her PhD coursework party. The club still has the elements of the old house it once was, including some steep stairs, a nice fireplace, little nooks and crannies. We headed out to the back deck, which has some vintage light fixtures hanging periodically overhead, just to give the place a touch of class. Despite all of its rumored pretentiousness, it's actually a fairly chill and comfortable place. A reggae band starts to play and everyone who's outside there starts to sway and move unintentionally. I look around and see people dressed casually and people dressed to the nines, of course with fabulous shoes and bags to match. There are folks in tank tops and some in suits. People of all races are there, and it's fun to look at them and speculate if the dark-haired, olive skinned man is the son of the Argentine ambassador, if the blond with the big hoop earrings is some congressman's daughter, if the singer with the dreads is really from Jamaica. We're all young and we're all dancing to the music, all with various levels of alcohol in us (I just had 1 drink, thanks). I got a warm tug in my chest because it felt like my decisions in coming to this city, staying despite many reservations, has been the right choice because I can be young here, I am urban and living the lifestyle I want and I'm smack dab in the middle of one of the most diverse areas in the country. It's truly the kind of life I envisioned for myself back when I was 18 and it's great that it has come true for me. I was a big cheerleader for my city that night.

Then, on Friday, I was walking to the Metro to head uptown for an appointment. I was prepared to walk down the escalator stairs as I usually do when a couple in front of me stood side by side, blocking my way down. I said excuse me to the man with the traditional military crew cut, and he tried to suck himself over to the left side. I squeezed through and tried to say as nicely as possible "people usually stand on the right here." You know, don't get mad, just try to teach the ignorant tourists, who may have never seen a subway system in their lives, how to be considerate of the others in their midst. I did mutter to myself a bit when I realized BAM it is 4th of July weekend here in our nation's capital and we are filled to the brim with folks from all types of bumblefucks and who feel entitled to take over the space as they like and let their kids do the same. My goodwill drained out faster than you can say "please step to the center of the train car." DC, I will love you again in September

I spent most of the weekend hiding out in my apartment and other non-frequented places. Expect to see knitting and other crafty progress from this soon.