Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Security Culture 

more stocking

On Friday, I was able to take the day off from work. I went downtown to get a haircut and decided to take advantage of my time by hanging out at one of the Smithsonian. I had transferred my stocking to my new circular needles they day before and had the project in my bag so I could work on them on the Metro. My salon's new location is directly across the street from the freshly reopened National Portrait Gallery, and having never visited that museum before, I thought I would go there.
When I entered the building, I opened my bag and presented it to the security guards. I'm pretty used to this drill by now; the guards rifle a bit through your bag with a stick before they let you in. The guard is looking, and suddenly stops and says, "Is that a needles?"
"Yes, it's a knitting needle," I say.
"You can't bring that in here."
"You've got to be kidding me, right?" I ask, incredulously.
"No, that's like a weapon. You can't bring it in. You can come in here if you dispose of it."
I was horrified at this suggestion, and their callous attitude towards my hard work on this project. "There's no way I'm throwing away my knitting project," I said, probably with an increasingly shrill tone.
A second guard chimed in. "I'm not saying you need to throw it away, I'm just saying you need to dispose of it." He seemed to be trying to imply that there was some easy solution, like I could just stow my project somewhere.
I was so tempted to go on a tirade about how even though those particular needles were pretty cheap, generally they can cost upwards of $12, how the TSA has explicitly stated that knitting needles are allowed onto airplanes, and the friggin' irony of not being allowed to bring a CRAFT TOOL into an ART MUSEUM.
Instead, I turned around and left in disgust.
The National Gallery took me in with no complaint, and I highly enjoyed seeing the Rousseau exhibit, so take that Portrait Gallery!

Oh well, at least I finished my Alpaca Socks.

Alpaca Socks

Blue Sky Alpacas Sportweight, originally a natural color
Dyed with Grape and Cherry Kool-Aid
Size 2 needles
Worked in Picque Rib stitch from Barbara Abbey's The Complete Book of Knitting (see the stitch described in this entry)

I felt pretty apathetic about these socks towards the end, but let me tell you that there was one heck of a payoff for completing them when I put them on. Wow, that alpaca on your feet is the sock equivalent of a luscious chocolate mousse. I keep slipping them and waiting until I'm totally over heated to take them off. It's worth it though. I can't wait to bring these out on the first chilly autumn day.
Now, why did I start feeling so blah towards these socks in the first place? I think it's because of the heel I chose. I decided to do my first afterthought heel on these socks and I must admit, it is a clever technique. However, I don't think I'll use it again. First off, you don't get that excitement from turning the heel, the feeling that you're moving on to the next stage. I also didn't like it because it's so, well, simple. I like how heel flaps have many different steps and produce a little pouch that just perfectly engineered to fit that complicated geography to the foot. Turning the heel is actually probably my favorite step in sock knitting. I will not go without it again.

Things will probably be pretty quiet around this blog for the next week or so as Cobra and I are going on Vacation!! We are thrilled to be spending a week in Seattle and Portland. After we fly home, we're going to drive up to Pittsburgh to hang with my dad as he has his final surgery commemorating the true end of his treatments. Huzzah!

While I'm away, I'll have some colorful knits to work on.

colorful knits

On the left is a Boobholder I'm working on with 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon (and which I'm really unsure if I have enough yarn to finish and I'm totally tempted to rip out, start some squares for Lizard Ridge and wait until I receive a windfall of cash to buy more Noro to finish the blanket). I also started a charity scarf for Food and Friends made from some Lana Gatto Andalusia I got at the SnB yarn swap. Hopefully, it will be ready to warm someone by the time I get home to DC.

Enjoy those last few days of summer, folks!