Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Comforts of Home 

Tonight when I got home from work, I made myself a cup of tea and turned on my well-loved vinyl copy of Highway 61 Revisited. Cobra came home and we cuddled a bit on the couch and ate some soup for dinner. Ah yes, the comforts of a simple evening at home. I finally feel grounded and mentally together enough to put together a decent blog post (I'm just talking about knitting, you wouldn't think it would be so hard, would you?). A lot has happened in the past week and a half or so, so I'll discuss it in list form with the occasional visual accompaniment.

*I finished an Odessa hat. It took a bit more drama than it should have because my knitting mojo has escaped me, but I'm happy with the finished product. If you want to knit this, be sure to use a stitch marker.
Finished Odessa hat

See the top here

*As I mentioned in my last post, Suzanne and I made it up to Politics and Prose to see Michael give his Knitting with Balls presentation, complete with audience friendly body language. Many wonderful DC Snb folks were there. Michael talked about how the book came to be and his design process. Then we got to touch the samples, most of which were made from delicious yarns.
michael signs books

Here he is signing Suzanne's book.

After the event, we all went next door for a celebratory dinner at a new pizza place. My pizza was cold and greasy when it got to me, but I would be willing to give them another shot with a smaller group.

*Cobra had his once monthly Saturday off the next day, so we went to a new thrift store in northern VA, which was one of the largest I've ever been to. Good thing I have had practice in working a thrift store, or else I would have been totally overwhelmed. I got a good score there:
thrift scores

The squirrel picture was only 50 cents! Score! I got another cardigan that still had the tags on, and gave it to my mom as an early Hanukkah present. It was a way better deal than anything I could have gotten at Target.
If you're interested in checking out this store, email me for details (a lady can't give away all her secrets on her blog, ya know).

*I started socks with my Woolarina handspun. Actually, I started it no less than three times but it's cruising now. I loved Adrian's interpretation of EZ's Moccasin Socks, so I'm making my own. This is my first EZ project, and I think the beauty of the yarn will work well with the cleverness of the design.

handspun sock start

*On Sunday, Cobra and I took advantage of the warmish day to head over to Great Falls and hike around on the rocks a bit. We'd received a good amount of rain the previous week, so the river was swollen, brown, and swirling strongly over the rocks. Luckily, I know a hunk of a man who can save me if I fall on the rocks.*On Tuesday, I flew to Chicago to join my aunt and parents for some Thanksgiving-style festivities. Luckily, my godparents, who are British and now live in Israel, were also visiting. They'd never been to Chicago before and encouraged us to do some touristy activities that we've never done before. Like go to the top of the Sears Tower:

I'm crushing your building

I'm crushing your building head, ha! If you want some unobstructed views, look here.

*We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with plenty of veggie options (and desserts). During the rest of the weekend, we went to the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio, took many nice walks, patronized some local businesses, and ate some of the highest quality food I've ever had. The pace was slow, the conversation was lively and I had a wonderful time. My aunt, who has taken to spoiling me rotten, has requested a pair of socks for Hanukkah. Done and done.

*I returned home safe and sound on Saturday night. For our Sunday activity, Cobra and I strolled around the National Zoo and surrounding areas. Then, the big highlight of the day: we went to see Peaches (and her band Herms) at the 930 Club. This is actually my fifth (!!) time seeing her, and her live band made this her most rocking show to date. I also had fake blood spat on me, which is another indicating of a good show in my mind. You can see my crappy camera pic here.

That brings me to tonight, where I'm pretty tired from being out late at the show last night. I'm off to the couch for more cuddling and some knitting before bed. Hope you all made it through the Monday ok....