Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Saturday, December 23, 2006

I've Got a Belly Full of Something, and It Ain't Holiday Cheer 

Or, How my Holiday Diet Started with a Bang.

After hitting my head on Sunday, the week was starting to get better. I was still feeling a bit dazed and out of it, but things were looking up. I had my performance review at work, and received an overall "exceed expectations" rating with many compliments from my boss. After receiving cards and candy from co-workers, I was starting to get excited for the upcoming holidays, especially since Cobra and I were making good progress in securing gifts. Two of my good friends are coming to stay with us for New Years. Our office Christmas party, a catered brunch, was enjoyable.
Ok, well this was actually a bit of a hitch because of the Secret Santa exchange. I got the name of a fellow that I really know nothing about. Really, the things I know about him are 1) he's from Ethiopia 2) he has the cutest little girl I've ever seen in my life and 3) he tried to impress me with his ability to knit one time on a project that I was working on, and in his masculine braggadocio, he worked a purl stitch and messed up my pattern. So, I asked another coworker what he might like, specifically if chocolate would fit the bill. She said "oh yes, he likes chocolate very much," so I bought him chocolate. After I gave it to him in the exchange, I said "Did you like the chocolate."
"Oh no, I don't like chocolate."
I felt really, really bad. I offered to take it back and get him something else, but he said he would give it all to his wife.
Oh well, I can't do anything about it now, and I got a set of makeup bags for travel, so I'm happy.

Yup, things were getting better.

Then, I got a pretty bad case of food poisoning on Thursday night. I'll spare you the gory details. Word to the wise: avoid Taste of India brand Jodphur Lentils. I did go to the hospital that evening, just to be on the safe side and I'm slowly getting better. Today I was even able to eat a few things, as opposed to just drinking liquids, and it gave me enough strength to knit a few rows. My stomach is still feeling pretty edgy, so I'm still treating it gently.

The saddest part about this is that Christmas is basically a two day feast at Cobra's Mom's and Aunt's house, but I'll probably only be able to pick at a few things. I'll just have to bring home lots of leftovers to have when I feel better.

I'm still determined to have a nice holiday, even if I don't get the full effect. And I'm still hoping to finish my stockings by the end of the year. Must perservere.

Thanks to all of you who check in with me, even on pity party days like today. I wish I could send you all presents and hugs. Lacking that, I hope that you all stay safe, happy, and HEALTHY through the holidays and the new year!

Edited to Add: Just as I'm feeling better, now Cobra is sick! Poor guy. We may be spending Christmas home, by ourselves, sipping warm broth.

Labels: ,