Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Ebb and Flow 

In 2005, I didn't have much expendable income, so knitting-wise, I mostly made due with what I had and bought yarn for specific projects. In 2006, things were a little better, and I had the opportunity to attend multiple fiber and knitting related events, the most orgy-like being MD Sheep and Wool and Stitches East. In 2006, I wanted to buy. I wanted to stash, and my backlog has grown. This is the year I want to whittle it back down.*

knitstash

In my stash, I have yarn for at least 7 sweaters, 3 tops, 8 pairs of socks, 7 various accessories with patterns in mind, plus lots of random bits and bobs that may or may not have projects assigned to them. Definitely enough to keep me occupied for a while! I'm sure most of you are familiar with the general rules of this project, but I'm going to add a few of my own modifications:

1) I will not buy yarn from January 1st until April 15th.
2) Sock yarn does count.
3)I am allowed to fall off the wagon one time, but only for a really unique yarn or great bargain.
4) A charitable donation must be made if I fall off the wagon.

There will certainly be some upcoming temptations, including the Springwater Superbowl Sale and an upcoming trip to New York, but I hope I can find the will the resist making purchases and use up what I have.

Luckily, I have some fun new skeins to start the project off with, so it shouldn't be too painful.

laura's gifts

I was the 1,000th commenter over at Laura's blog, and she sent me this wonderful package as a prize. In the back, you can see a wonderful little handknit purse, complete with lining and zipper. I plan to fill this with lavendar and flax seeds leftover from my eyebag and store it with my sweaters as a sachet. She also included a large measuring tape, a glass model of a Hershey's Kiss, ribbon with knitting hands on it (perfect for a needle case), and, best of all, a skein of laceweight, handdyed by Toni. Laura specially chose this yarn for me as it included all the colors I said I'm liking these days. These are all great treates; thanks so much, Laura!

Clearly, December was my lucky month as I also won a contest over at Chawne's blog.

chawne prizes

She sent a sample packet of Soak woolwash, her Moo (how fun would it be for knitbloggers to create and swap these?) and a skein of Yarn Pirate merino/tencel sock yarn in Semi-Precious. I've been secretly coveting this yarn for a while, so I'm very anxious to try it out.

I made one last purchase before the year ended to get me through the long slog (I blame it on Aija, who alerted me to the sale at Yarn4Socks).

kureyon 184

1 skein of Noro Kureyon in color 184, meaning I now have yarn for at least 3 more Lizard Ridge Squares.

black purl

Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock in Black Purl. I have long coveted this yarn in this colorway, so I couldn't resist when it went on sale. I'm looking forward to knitting with this well-reviewed yarn for the first time.

The stashbusting has already commenced! Long may it live!

*I also have a secret fear that a fire is going to start in my apartment and all my yarn will be destroyed. If I use up my stash, there's less to burn in the fire. Phew!