Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Flocking to the Fiber 

On Saturday, Melissa and I headed down to the cute town of Canby, OR for the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. After missing MD Sheep and Wool so narrowly this year, I was glad I could get my cute-barnyard-animals-and-fresh-from-the-producer-yarn fix at some point this year.

Melissa

The festival was a very manageable size and perfect for a day trip like ours; there were two large buildings filled with vendors and a few additional ones outside. Of course, the glut of yarn choices was a bit overwhelming, but we had plenty of time to shop and take in the sights in the five or so hours we were there.

One of the best parts about an event like this is the chance it gives to socialize with other wool-obsessed crafters. We ran into Valerie and Katrina, who we previously met at a Seattle Ravelry meetup, in the crowded Blue Moon booth. They later generously provided me with some refreshment in the form of kettle corn.

Val and Kat

They also informed me that you can buy Sofia Coppola brand Champagne in small pink cans that come with straws. Surprising and important information.
I also said hi to Sarah in the Crown Mountain Farms booth; during a quick jaunt down to Portland the previous week, I'd actually briefly met her at Knit/Purl. Still, exciting to meet the Zimmermania founder!

We spent a good amount of time wandering the barns and seeing all of the precious fiber animals, including sheep, goats, rabbits, llamas, alpacas and even camels and yaks.

Young Yak

Sheep

Peeking Goat

Bunny Love

Sheep Butts

Unfortunately, none of my pictures of the bizarre alpaca agility competition came out. We stumbled upon this while grabbing some lunch. This was somewhat similar to dog agility in that the animals' owners led them through a series of obstacles, but it was way slower and had some strange tasks. For instance, the alpacas had to stand with just their front legs in a big bowl of fleece. Does anyone know why they would do this?

To answer the obvious question, I did buy yarn, all unique and beautiful. I'll have to share that another day, however, since some of my purchases have stories to go along with them.

The day was made additionally special because I was able to wear a fresh off the needles knit for all to see.

Sizzle at 4H

sizzle side

Delicious Sizzle
Artfibers Galicia, colorway 6
Size 7 needles

When I say fresh off the needles, I mean I knit the last armband and wove in the ends on the car ride down! Despite my last minute rush, I was actually sad to see this project end. I can't say enough good things about this yarn; seriously, it's the best yarn ever. The color is beautiful and given some depth by the differing shades of each of the three strands that compose the yarn. The hand and drape are divine. The wool and mohair give a slight bit of warmth and halo while the silk has a beautiful sheen. The yarn is truly the best of all worlds. I have a good amount left over and will be searching for a beautiful pattern with which to use it.

Wendy's pattern is clear, well-written and produces a beautiful staple garment. On Ravelry, a few people had said that theirs turned out too large. I was between sizes, so I knit the smaller one and put additional increases in for the bust. This strategy helped me achieve a really wonderful fit.

Galicia Stitches

You may notice that I put a small keyhole into the neckband. This was once of those mistakes-becoming-a-design-feature moments. I didn't go deep enough into the neck "v" when I was picking up stitches, so I ended up with a lining that was quite short of an overlap. I decided just to stitch up the top and call it a day. Since I increased the length of the band to make the top a bit more modest, I think the keyhole gives a bit of sexiness to the top. This was a great knit to debut at the fest!

Hopefully, I'll get to return next year for another day of fun, with another great fitting sweater.

Rodeo Queens

Labels: , ,