Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Saw the Flock, I Took the Fiber 

As I alluded previously, I did make some very nice purchases at OFFF. Before I show you those, however, I have to give a big thank you to Voxless over on Ravelry. Over in the Cast On, Rock Out group(which is always looking for new members!), I hosted a Rock Out with your Socks Out Yarn and CD swap. Voxless was my partner and provided me with enough beautiful, handdyed yarn to make two pairs of socks.

Shibui Sock

Two skeins Shibui Knits Sock in Sky.

Jitterbug

One Skein of Colinette Jitterbug in Mist.

Thanks so much, Voxless, for this beautiful yarn, the rockin' CD and the delicious mini Hershey's bars (that are now gone).

Receiving these yarns capped off what had already been a big week in fiber for me. Here's what I had gotten just a few days previously at the festival.

Rare Gems

STR Lightweight in Rare Gems.

Clover Honey

Blue Moon Seduction in Oregon Red Clover Honey. Lots of blog folks have been into this particular colorway. I liked it, but didn't feel compelled to take it home with me until I saw it in this tencel blend yarn. The sheen just makes it truly honey-esque.

Cobalt

Chameleon Colorworks Evolution in Cobalt, 3 skeins. Are you familiar with Optim stretched Merino? I wasn't until I met this yarn. Essentially, the fiber goes through a process where it's stretched to the fineness of cashmere (here's a review of a similar, more expensive yarn). Seek the Optim stretching and make it your friend, for it makes an already soft merino into a delight.

Sweet Grass Wool

Sweet Grass Wool 2ply in Medium Natural Blend, 7 skeins. This yarn is made from Targhee fleece, which is a squooshy yet hardy wool. I have plans for this yarn that I'll discuss later.

The one goodie that I didn't get a photo of is a soft and beautiful caramel-colored 4 oz of 50% camel/50% Tussah silk roving from Crown Mountain Farms. Now, you may remember that I don't spin, which raises the question of why I would buy such a thing, as beautiful as it may be.

The answer lies in a strange confluence of knit bloggerdom. Earlier that work, I'd started my new job. My new boss found out that I was a knitter, so when she was showing me around on my first day, she told me there was a like-minded person I should meet. She introduced me to Elaine, who instantly introduced herself to me as someone who knits, spins, dyes yarn and works in a yarn shop. How wonderful to have an ally like this at work!

Elaine introduced me to some of my work duties later on that day. After we finished talking business, we of course had to discuss our particular knitting affinities. We then got to talking about online knitting content and blogs. She said that she used to keep a blog but has since moved on, and I divulged that I, too, have one. Well, it turns out that in my search for other Seattlites, I had read her blog before! I was just meeting her, but I already knew her!

We share an office, so we now have morning show and tell sessions of our projects (she's much more prolific than I am). We discuss blogs and yarn and fiber and plenty of other life things, too. I told her I'd pick up something for her from the festival, if she liked, and she sent me on a mission for an exotic fiber. Thankfully, she was pleased with my choice.

Not only do I have a new friend, but I feel that this coincidence underlies my good decision-making in taking this job and coming to this beautiful corner of the world. I hope to have more great acquisitions and opportunities for friendship at next year's festival.

Labels: , ,