Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Taking in the Surrondings 

I've spent the last few weeks trying to make the most of the beautiful Seattle summer days, hence why I've been so quiet over here on the blog. My parents came to visit me for the first time here in my new home and I managed to show them a pretty good time beyond some of the usual tourist attractions. Since they were here over Labor Day weekend, we decided to spend a day at Bumbershoot, the city's monumental arts and music festival. My dad is into classical music and my mom listens to AM talk radio and occasionally Neil Diamond, so bringing them around to rock shows was definitely a novelty.

Mom and Dad at their first Stadium Rock Show

Tiny Shins!

I'm proud to say I brought them to their first stadium rock show to see The Shins. My mom got a migraine a few minutes into it and had to leave, but dad said he actually like some of it. The Shins must possess some magic rock power to turn my dad into a fan.

The following day, we decided we wanted to get a different perspective on the city, so we took a Seaplane ride around the city. If you ever have the chance to do this, don't hesitate!

Seattle Center

Downtown and Cruise Ship

We Survived

The ride was short but breathtaking. The planes take off from and land in Lake Union in the middle of the city, so instead of feeling like you're flying, it's really like you're taking a special route that no one else knows about that just happens to have great views of the whole area. You can see more of my pictures from both the ride and Bumbershoot here.

I also took my parents down to the International District, where we spent some time in Kinokuniya, the Japanese bookstore. Of course, I had to check out the excellent craft section and I found a wonderful new pattern book. Unfortunately, it's all in Japanese, so I can't even tell you what it's called! I created a set showing all of the patterns, but here are some of my favorites.

Design 3

Design 17

Design 20

Showing my parents around and telling them about my life here really reiterated to me how lucky I feel to be living here and how much I like it. I was filled with so much pride that I had to knit up a grand object to show my love.

New Home Pride

I'm representing WA now.
Knitted Washington Square
Lily Sugar'n Creme Yarn
Size 8 Needles

Inspired by Sandra's creation, I knit this up in one day. It's resting here right before I used it to clean up some maple syrup that spilled all over my fridge and kitchen floor. Ah, the useful knitted item.

I'm in the middle of a busy week. I started my new job on Monday (and oh boy, it's a good one) and on Saturday, Melissa and I are heading down to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. Going there will certainly be a great way to cap off a week of big transition. If you're going and you see me, be sure to say hi!