Pink Monkey Knits

Using my opposable thumbs to knit up a storm!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Swirl Power 

My little prolonged silence is the result of mostly good things happening in my life. Here, you can see some of what is sucking up much of my energy.

Knitting during a call

Here I am at work listening to a conference call, knitting, taking notes and taking a picture of myself (to submit to Chelsea's Work Knitting Photo Pool). I've been at my job for just over two months now and I've been really enjoying it. Every day presents a different challenge, which has required a large investment of initiative from me. This, combined with an hour long commute on the bus each way has left me pretty drained by the time evening rolls around. It's the reason my last few posts, at least to me, seemed really restrained.

I must admit that meeting the day-to-day demands has made me feel very fulfilled with my work in a way that I haven't felt in a long, long time. It's exciting and really makes me happy. On the other hand, I don't like there isn't as much room in my life for the other things I care about. How do you handle the balance between work and life?

Despite not having my usual knitting bravado, I decided to participate in NaKniSweMo this month. After Lauren's spectacular two-sweater performance last year, I thought I'd be a shoe-in to get at least one garment finished in this time frame. I've been trying to work from my stash in a "first in, first out" order, so I knew I wanted to work with a yarn I picked up a while ago.

the haul

These are the yarns I got at the 2006 MD Sheep and Wool festival; in the back, you see Botanical Shades Single Ply Silk Blend naturally dyed with indigo (similar to Lolly's but with a different fiber composition). Ever since I bought this yarn, I thought I would use it to make Jolie from Rowan Vintage Knits. When I was swatching, however, I discovered that I did not particularly enjoy working the slip stitch pattern. In thinking about other patterns that appealed to me, Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature immediately sprung to mind. After looking again at Grumperina's fabulous sweater (and useful commentary on her modifications), I settled on the Swirled Pentagons Pullover.

Pentagons Start
Tubular Cast on!

Pentagon Progress 11.17

I'm doing a few modifications of my own. My yarn is a smaller gauge than that specified in the pattern, so I'm following the pattern for the 44" for an end size of about 39.5". I've also added waist shaping and made the length about the same as my favorite sweater.

The big question is: will I finish before the end of the month? I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm not sure. I have one sleeve and 3.5 pentagons left to knit. At this point, I'd be satisfied if I completed the knitting by Friday, then worked on the finishing over the weekend. I'm doing my best and will just have to see where that leaves me.

Hopefully, I'll have a finished sweater to show you this weekend!

Labels: , ,